- Common cargos that are shipped between Thailand and USA
- What are the ways to ship from Thailand to USA?
- What is the cheapest way to ship from Thailand to USA?
- What are the shipping rates and cost to ship from Thailand to USA with trans-shipment?
- How to engage a Singapore freight forwarder to settle all the shipping hassle for you?
International shipping is costly and shipping over long distances can add up. When this happens, you would want to ensure that your goods arrive at their desired destination on time and in one piece.
The following article will provide you information detailing shipping from Thailand to USA including the cheapest way to do so, and how to do it.
1. Common cargos that are shipped between Thailand and USA
1a. Shipping Personal Effects from Thailand to US
Personal effects is a common form of cargo that is regularly being shipped by people residing or vacationing in Thailand.
Whether you are mailing a postcard to a loved one, sending an important business package, or shipping your purchases from an incredible shopping experience, there’s a good chance that you may have to send something back home or to someone in the US.
1b. Shipping Furniture from Thailand to USA
Furniture from Thailand is well known for their quality. Chiang Mai, in particular, is famous for local artisans and Lanna-style furniture.
With its exquisiteness and cheaper prices, it’s no wonder there is an increasing number of vacationers picking up Thai-designed furniture during their jaunts to the country.
2. What are the ways to ship from Thailand to USA?
|What is it?||How long does it take?||Who is it suitable for?|
|Air Freight||Transfer of goods via an air carrier||5-7 days||People who are:|
– looking for a quick shipping option
|Sea Freight||Transfer of goods via a sea vessel||30-45 days||People who are:|
– looking to save money on shipping cost
– able to wait
Do take note that the duration it takes to ship from Thailand to US is just an approximate gauge. The actual duration depends on many factors such as:
Weather during the shipping period
Unpredictable and adverse weather conditions can halt shipping, causing delays.
Time taken to clear customs
Shipping can be delayed due to port congestion.
Type of product shipped
Importing certain products into US will require special clearance and may add to the shipping time. Food items, for example, must first go through the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to be cleared for entry before it can be imported into US.
How efficient the consignor and consignee is
Ensure that both parties have all required paperwork in place to prevent any delays from occurring.
3. What is the cheapest way to ship from Thailand to USA?
When it comes to shipping your goods, the cost of shipping plays a big role when deciding on the mode of transportation.
For the budget conscious, we recommend shipping your goods from Thailand via trans-shipment.
Trans-shipment refers to the transfer of goods from a vessel to another while in transit. It is an important form of shipping due to the limitations in shipping lines, as no vessel is able to ship to all ports around the world on a single service.
Why is trans-shipment the cheapest shipment mode?
- Huge holding capacity
- Economies of scale when using the vessels to their full capacity
As one of the world’s leading ports, Singapore serves as an ideal transhipment location due to its connectivity to key shipping lines, capacity to meet the demands of large-scale cargo operations effectively, and competitiveness that offers shorter transit times thus minimising delays.
4. What are the shipping rates and cost to ship from Thailand to USA with trans-shipment?
Whether you are shipping personal items or purchases from Thailand, the shipping rates can vary significantly depending on various factors.
The cost of shipping your goods will depend on:
Cargo weight and volume
If your cargo is large and heavy, you will be expecting a higher shipping cost.
Goods that are fragile, high in value, and perishable will require cargo insurance protection.
Urgency of cargo
The more urgent the cargo, the higher the cost.
Pick up address in Thailand
The further and the more inaccessible the pick-up location is, the higher the cost of shipping.
Drop off address in USA
Similarly, the further and the more inaccessible the drop-off location is, the higher the cost of shipping.
5. How to engage a Singapore freight forwarder to settle all the shipping hassle for you?
Step 1: Request for quotation
To speed up the quotation process, it is recommended that you provide us with all the following details:
- Thailand export custom clearance
- Kindly state if the supplier in Thailand is able to make export custom clearance arrangements for you.
- Consignee details in USA
- Kindly ensure that the intended receiver in US has a valid import licence.
- Cargo information
- Please also provide us with all information with regards to your cargo, e.g. the weight, dimension, and type of goods.
- Packing list and commercial invoice
- Briefly describe the contents of your cargo to the best of your ability and attach a copy of your commercial invoice.
Step 2: Approve the quotation
Following the approval of the quote, the freight forwarder in Singapore will get the Thai shipping agent to handle the shipment from Thailand.
In addition, the freight forwarder in Singapore will also get the US shipping agent to handle the shipment in USA directly. Both agents will be partners of the freight forwarder for ease of communication.
Step 3: Update on shipment status
After the goods have been shipped out, the shipment status will constantly be updated by the freight forwarder to the client.
Lastly, the freight forwarder will also oversee any exchange of documents in Singapore to comply with the import requirements of US customs.