Items Commonly Shipped from Canada to Singapore
Singapore is a common recipient of several goods and products that come from Canada. Here are just of the items that Canada commonly ships to Singapore:
- Boilers and mechanical appliances
- Electrical equipment and machinery
- Technical, scientific, medical, and optical instruments
- Waxes, fats, and oils
- Spacecraft and aircraft
- Precious stones, pearls and metals
- Plastic articles and plastic
- Organic chemicals
- Oil seeds and miscellaneous fruits and grains
- Paper, paperboard scraps, and wood pulp
Types of Shipment Mode Used from Canada to Singapore
- LCL – The less than container load (LCL) mode of shipment is one of the most acceptable methods to ship items from Canada to Singapore. As the name suggests, the shipper does not have enough items to fill one big container, causing it to be called less than container load. Since the container is not full, the goods you plan to ship will be placed in the container together with the items of other shippers.
One advantage of using LCL is that it can reduce your shipping cost, since you only need to pay for the specific part of the space you’re accommodating. It is also the best method of shipment for those who only need to ship small volumes of items. Another advantage is that it gives shippers more flexibility.
- FCL – Unlike the previous mode of shipment, FCL (full container load) gives you an exclusive booking of one shipping container. With that in mind, you are the only one who can fill in the container with your goods. Whether you fill it up or not is up to your discretion.
It is a cost-effective option for you, especially if you need to transport goods that are more than 15 cubic meters. FCL also has a faster transit time than LCL because it only requires least amount of general handling. It is not also prone to unforeseen delays and damage.
How Long Does it Take to Ship from Canada to Singapore?
If you plan on shipping items from Canada to Singapore, then note that the shipment time often takes around 4-7 days. However, note that sometimes, it would take more than 7 days – up to 2 weeks – for the goods to arrive at their destination in Singapore.
Shipping Procedure to Adhere to When Shipping from Canada to Singapore
- Get a customs permit – This is the first permit you have to obtain if you want to ship from Canada to Singapore without any legal trouble. You can get a customs permit for your clients or your own shipments. To get the permit, you should apply for a user ID for TradeNet first so you can register as the declaring agent.
- Pay for duties and GST – As the shipper, you need to settle the GST and duties or taxes. You can pay for them with the help of a declaring agent you have appointed or by using your own IBG (Inter-Bank GIRO) account with the customs of Singapore.
- Deposit the items in a free trade zone – Whether you decide to import/ship the goods by air or sea, you need to look for a free trade zone to deposit them to. However, if you think that it’s not practical to take this step, then rest assured that you can still deposit them in premises approved by customs, like licensed warehouses.
- Keep all the trade documents – You need to keep all the records and documents relevant to the sale, export, import, or purchase of goods for a minimum of five years from the time you received the approval of the customs permit. Some of the most important documents you need to retain are commercial invoice, certificate of analysis and origin, packing list, air waybill or bill of lading, books of account, and certificate of insurance.
- Return permits – If you ship the items either by air or sea, then it is a must for you to submit all the import permits to the airline or shipping agents within ten days from the time the shipment took place.
Common Prohibited Items to be Imported to Singapore
Here are just some of the items that you should not import to Singapore:
- Chewing gum, excluding those approved for oral, dental, and medicinal purposes
- Cigarette lighters shaped like a revolver or pistol
- Endangered species of wildlife as well as the by-products of these species
- Prohibited telecommunication equipment
- Obscene publications, video tapes, articles, and discs
- Reproduced copyright publications, video tapes, software, cassettes, records, and laser discs
- Chewing tobacco
- Smokeless cigars
- Nasal and oral snuff
- Controlled psychotropic substances and drugs
Benefits of Dealing with a Freight Forwarder
Still deciding whether you should hire a freight forwarding company to handle the shipping of your items from Canada to Singapore? Then the following benefits of dealing with a freight forwarder will definitely convince you that you need one:
- Guaranteed date of arrival – One good thing about working with a professional freight forwarder is that you will receive a guaranteed date of arrival for the items you decided to ship. They also offer a guarantee that the goods shipped will reach the destination in the same exact condition as the time when these were dispatched.
- Safety of your items – Aside from giving you a guarantee that your items are in safe hands, most freight forwarders also offer insurance of your goods. Furthermore, you have the chance to keep track of the status of the shipment with the aid of their courier tracking applications.
- Less troublesome – It is mainly because some freight forwarders handle the needed documentation for international shipment. That means less hassle and effort on your part.
Why Should you Engage with M&P International Freights?
- Reliable services – We are known for offering highly reliable services to our clients. Our reliability can help ensure that your goods stay intact and will not be affected negatively in any way by the moving and shipping processes. Our goal is to continue providing a great customer experience, so we focus on improving the quality and reliability of all our forwarding and shipping services.
- Value of time – We know how important time is so expect us to deliver all your items without delays. Our freight forwarder company has been known for shipping goods on a timely manner without causing any damage to them.