What is sea freight?
Sea freight, also known as ocean freight, is the transportation of goods via a sea vessel from one seaport to another. Cargo is often consolidated into shipping containers or placed directly onto the vessel.
How it happens from USA to Singapore?
When moving items from USA to Singapore, there are multiple routes and options one can take. Here is an example of one of the methods used:
After contacting a freight forwarder company, they will arrange to send your items via sea freight. The most economical route to send your items to Singapore’s port directly from a port nearby your home in USA would be routed for you.
Where to Enlist Sea Freight Services?
1. Contacting a shipping company directly to buy container space to ship your items
- Cheaper as you save the cost of hiring an external party to plan and organise the entire shipment for you.
- Time-consuming as you are planning and sourcing for shipping companies, choosing the quickest route to transport your cargo, purchasing cargo insurance for your goods, preparing international custom forms and submitting them to the relevant authorities.
Engaging a Freight Forwarder for Sea Freight Services
- Hassle-free because the freight forwarder will do most of the administrative work for you and will only require you to fill in the international custom forms and submit it to them. Furthermore, they can source for and negotiate the best terms to ship your goods on your behalf, advise you on exporting rules in USA and import rules in Singapore and provide you with options such as cargo insurance that will be tailored for your shipment. Hence, saving you time and potentially money in the process.
- Additional fees will be incurred when enlisting the company’s services.
Who Requires Sea Freight Services?
Generally, those who will need sea freight services fall into 3 categories:
- Foreigners who need to shift their belongings to Singapore as they will be moving there.
- Businesses which require goods to be sent over to Singapore.
- Businesses which are using Singapore as a port-of-call for trans-shipping to other regions.
Restrictions on imports in Singapore
As such, here are the lists of prohibited/controlled items as well as the relevant authorities you need to contact for both individuals and businesses.
Why work with M&P International Freight?
M&P International Freight is a one-stop shipping solutions company located in Singapore who primed and ready to meet the transportation needs of international clientele.
By being situated in Singapore, we have an in-depth knowledge on the custom requirements in Singapore and are able to contact the relevant authorities in Singapore for any potential issues about the cargo. As such, we hope to provide you a peace of mind when choosing to work with us for any shipment from USA to Singapore.
Professional and Reliable
Having been accredited by authorities in Singapore such as the Singapore Land Authority (SLA) as a Multi-Modal Transport Operator (MTO) and FIATA, we are recognized as a trusted organisation who are able to expedite any imports into Singapore to ensure a seamless shipment.